Adam Heath’s Business internship in Australia
“I went to the Australian space awards as my host company were finalist in two categories” – Adam Heath, University of Wolverhampton.
Adam Graduated his degree in Product Design and joined us for a Business internship in Australia with a company making space suits for astronauts, for 6 months in Sydney (March 2023 to August 2024).
How would you describe the work vibe in your team?
Hard working and inquisitive.
Describe your typical day, including schedule and work content:
I get to work around 7am, read any emails and reply, look into anything new in the design/any related topic news and then get on with certain tasks spoken about the day/week before.
Did you get involved in any big/special events this month?
- April – I went to a talk by Airbus on space satellites and attended a few meetings on possible collaborations with various companies and universities.
- May – Yes, I went to the Australian space awards as my host company were finalist in two categories, unfortunately no trophies but an all around great event. Back tie event so were all dressed up so a great experience overall!
What new skills have you learned this month?
- April – How to develop a design language and communicate that.
- May – Project planning was the main focus for this month as we needed to sort that to understand the rest of our work, and doing that for a spacesuit is up there with one of the hardest things you could do it for, so having this experience will stand me in good stead for the future.
Tell us one thing you feel frustrated about, or one difficulty you have solved:
Just how to be as efficient with my time as possible and making sure the work I’m doing will benefit the company in the long run as we are almost planning for how to move forward in the future.
Tell us one thing you feel proud of at work this month:
- April – Challenging people to think differently on certain ways the company is viewed and them buying into it and agreeing.
- May – We did short episode of a podcast which was great to do as its something I enjoy listening to, but it also helped me to gain skills in other areas, not just my design skills.
Working in partnership with universities, prestigious global hotel brands and many other businesses.
"I thank you for your support. It really was a great experience."
Fabien Shaikh, Nottingham Trent University
Nepal Business, Jan 2022
"Did a great job at finding me a placement in my chosen country and in my chosen field - especially given the difficulties of Covid and restricted travel."
Harry Moore, Loughborough University
"I always wanted to work in the UK as it has a rich culture. I have expanded my global connections. You were very helpful and informative."
Charmian Chang, University of Surrey
"I improved my communication, confidence, team work skills. Placement Year International is highly professional and organised. The communication and assistance was great, even after everything was sorted out with contracts!"
Feruza Shakir, University of Huddersfield
"Your service and that of your staff has been phenomenal!"
Geoffrey Frey, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
"I am working as sales and marketing Intern. Placement Year International could not make it any simpler. I am actively referring my friends."
Satwik Shiv, Nottingham Trent University
"It is a great established company with a lovely director who is very engaging to interns. I will recommend for my fellow Bournemouth University students."
Mei Smith, Bournemouth University
"I definitely enjoyed my placement in Nepal and the process for applying was made very easy by the team at Placement Year International."
Sam Galloway, University of Glasgow